Friday, February 17, 2006

"Rang De Basanti" Immature or ludicrous??

I have seen two types of movies. One which makes me laugh and others which make me cry.
Today i saw the third kind.

The movie started alright. I was happy with the pace with which it was progressing. But everything fell into a dreamy haze later. The screenplay was very loose and the story line was bad. I personally liked the basic theme of the movie but felt that the plot execution was highly immature.

Some good points about this movie..

1. Alice Patten did a very good job of trying to speak hindi. Her acting was good
2. The basic idea is different.Not like the mediocre movies.
3. Made some ppl aware of some of the events during the freedom struggle.

Now the bad points.

1. Horrible screenplay and loose story.
2. To many immature and nonsensical ideas like assasinating the defence minister. For god's sake, he will not be going for a walk like its depicted..
3. After everything, they go on air on some radio station. Just for a comparison, we were not allowed air a notification about a RV function in a private station. We had to give the written announcement to the watchman. The radio stations are one among the decently secured areas.
4. After the assasination, they sit in college canteen. Man if someone does what they did, their descriptions will be all over delhi in 10 mins.
5. By comparing the harsh acts of some suddenly "awakened" youth to the great freedom fighters, The film made itself foolish.
6. Showed only the corrupt face of the defence system.
7.The contradiction arises from the fact that the group was not sure of anything.


I would give the movie 3/10. 2 for its different approach and 1 for cinematography and music.

Now after hearing from about 50 odd ppl and reading excellent reviews about the movie, I am not sure if the problem is with me. But the guys who watched it along with me felt miserable too. So I am not alone. Still I strongly feel that the movie was immature and disappointing.

5 comments:

Vikas.Y.V said...

like I said before, something might be wrong with u and ur frnds, but it is all a matter of taste...These clemsonians are crazy!! ;)
As a true fan of the movie, I have a few contradictions to ur pts..
1)Screenplay was good and captivated the user. A loose story? tell me one movie these days having a strong storyline. what does lagaan have apart from a cricket match, but wasnt it good?
2)come on, how many such ideas come up nowadays..if ppl can come and shoot in IISc just ike that, u can plan something this as well..yeah,the security part was a bit too simple, though I have seen some worse situations. e.g. the kannada movie AK47..
3)no comments on this..
4)how many saw them? it was early morning..and who cares?
5)the movie does not compare them to the freedom fighters, rather, they are inspired by the freedom fighters to an extent..comparisons are made only while they are playing the roles in the documentary.
6)The movie is set in 2002 and not 2005, ever wondered why? remember the then defense minister and his party and his acts and everything will fall into place, his movie has targeted him and the party blatantly.
7)i do not understand this point.
50? come on man, this movie has been praised by ppl all over the world(i mean US, UK, India and Australia). there are 50 in knoxville itself who can vouch for that.
neways, the fact is, this movie does what it is supposed to do, provide 3 hrs entertainment, infact it provides more than that. It does have its share of errors, but every movie does, and u have to ignore them. It may not be the best film ever made, but it certainly stands out with the top hindi movies, and definetely better than many hollywood movies...

whew..the longest comment made on the blog.. :)

Srini said...

Biggest comment I have ever seen in any blog!!

Thats what is scaring me!! Except one blog post(http://saltwaterblues.blogspot.com/) which kinda agrees with me, the whole world is full of praises for it. Donno whats wrong with the world or with me!!

Vikas.Y.V said...

Majority wins! :)

Srini said...

May be you r right. It all boils down to personal choice.

I liked the different approach hence 2 points awarded! Music is excellent 1 more!
But is that enough?? I felt that the story could be presented in a bettter way.

I agree with you on some points. May be I had too many expectations. But I did see the movie with a blank mind. I hadnt even listened to the music!!
That apart, Thanks for dropping by!! Appreciate your ideas. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Srinidhi,
This is Ram Prasad from C6 TCS,ILP.
Just came across ur blog. Nice reading. Nice blog this but i think i must agree with ur pal Vikas. Y. V. I liked the movie too :D
Keep blogging. Me shall keep reading. So long.